Network Share.

Questions and Answers asked by users to users, about how others use Jet Express.

Network Share.

Postby vassago » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:44 am

Good day,

i already ask this question last year then get a workaround for our issue, saving files locally to edit them.http://expresssupport.jetreports.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=344

Saving locally is a bit dangerous has if a user did not update the file on the network drive the second another user copy back the same report file locally then open it, it may be using an outdated version without the new formulas, links, values....We have face this situations several times.

The questions are :

Does the new versions since 15.1.15350 still have this issue?
Does a paid version will support network share ?
Can we use sharing alternatives like Dropbox, Onedrive, Sharepoint ?

Best regards,

Jean
vassago

Re: Network Share.

Postby MWilson » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:32 am

Hello Jean,

Saving Jet reports to a network share is fully supported and always has been, regardless of version (Jet Express/Essentials/Professional).
It sounds like there may be an issue with one of a few things.
1) Different versions (32bit vs. 64bit) of Microsoft Windows that are installed on the computers accessing the reports and the Jet Add-In being referenced in different locations ("C:\Program Files (x86)\JetReports\JetReports.xlam" vs. "C:\Program Files\JetReports\JetReports.xlam")
2) Files are being saved in '.xls' format rather than '.xlsx' format.
3) Files are being created on an older version of Microsoft Office (2003) in '.xls' format on a 32bit Windows machine and then shared with users on a newer version of Office (2007-2016) and 64bit Windows.

Best regards,
MWilson
MWilson

Postby vassago » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:10 am

MWilson,

i will have a look at your recommandations.

Thank,

Jean
vassago

Postby vassago » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 am

Hello MWilson,

i just have a look at our setup and i have a PC with an Access 2003 runtime on it, our old accounting system was using it and it's still in production for that user. Knowing that office have shared libraries, does this 32-bit and 64-bit coexistence be a problem ?

Most of our issues are related when passing from design to refresh or refresh to design.

Sincerely,

Jean
vassago

Postby MWilson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:13 am

Hello Jean,

Having Access 2003 on the machine shouldn't cause any problems.
I think your best bet is to ensure that reports are saved in Report Mode rather than in Design Mode as you shouldn't have any issues with the links upon opening at that point.

Best regards,
MWilson

Return to Ask the Community