Installation

Questions and Answers asked by users to users, about how others use Jet Express.

Installation

Postby lrj » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:46 am

Hello!

In the case of a client who is running Dynamics GP on a Terminal Server, would you recommend to install Jet Express in the Excel version on the Terminal Server?

Or on the Excel version installed on their local workstations?
lrj

Re: Installation

Postby HPDeskJet » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:16 am

Hello LRJ.

Since they would be logging in to the machine through an RDP connection, they would want to install Jet Express on that machine (rather than their local desktop).

This article in the Jet online Knowledgebase may be helpful: https://jetsupport.jetreports.com/hc/en ... /218953388
HPDeskJet

Postby lrj » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26 am

Thank you for the reply!

I took a peek at that KB article and this line worries me:

•Publish the entire desktop (we do not support using Jet in a shared environment if the entire desktop is not published [i.e., "shared app"])

Does this mean you cannot publish Excel via RDWeb as the manner in which users access Jet?
lrj

Postby HPDeskJet » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:09 am

Hello -

That requirement is needed for the support of older versions of Dynamics NAV. Those versions required a number of supporting NAV utilities (C/Front, FinHLink, etc.) in order for NAV to provide access to the client and the data. This made it difficult for an installation of Excel to access those various utilities when only the app was published (Excel would only know about itself... nothing else).

Since a GP connection does not access the GP client (just the underlying SQL database), as long as the shared app can access that database, I would imagine that an app-only environment could work.
HPDeskJet

Postby lrj » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 am

Excellent, thank you for the confirmation!
lrj

Return to Ask the Community